Chicken Liver Mousse
Winter means lots of eating & experimenting! I learned how to make chicken liver mousse last winter and ever since I have been raging about it. I mean it's just so goddamn cheap - the perfect snack with red wine and some netflix & chill ;)
Photos by Carmen Ladipo
Total Time: 30 min
Serves: 6-10 people
Yield: 1 large jar
Chicken Liver Mousse:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp EVOO
3 onions, chopped
2 whole pears, chopped
2 tbsp thyme, chopped
1 tsp rosemary, chopped
1 lb chicken liver, cleaned
1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 tsp sea salt
1 cup heavy cream
1. In a medium pot over medium heat, sweat the onion, apple, pear, thyme, rosemary, and a pinch of sea salt in the butter and oil.
2. Cook for about 15-17 minutes or until the fruit is softened.
3. Add the chicken livers, and cook until the liver is firm (about 5-7 minutes). Make sure to not overcook the livers, they should be pink on the inside.
4. Remove from the heat and add remaining salt, and pepper.
5. Cool the livers for 5 minutes, then add to food processor and puree.
6. Chill the chicken liver mixture, meanwhile whip the heavy cream until it becomes a whipped cream consistency.
7. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled chicken liver mixture.
8. Keep refrigerated, serve cold with toast, pickled red onions, and of course some red wine!!