I know you're scared to make this at home, but it involves NO cooking at ALL. This is honestly the easiest (and cheapest) thing to make at home for a date night, to impress friends, or a bougie snack for your 'me' time! Enjoy it with some crackers, or toasted bread and of course a large hefty glass of beaujolais!
Photos by Brandon Kaiser
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 1lb beef tenderloin
- 3 tbsp capers, chopped
- 2 tbsp cornichons, chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion (pickled or raw), chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- Crackers, baguette, or multigrain toast
- 1 bottle beaujolais wine
1. Make sure to talk to your butcher, and buy the highest-quality beef you can find!
2. While chopping, and measuring the rest of the ingredients, chill the steak in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. This will help it become firm, and will make the meat dicing easier.
3. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! With a sharp knife, start by thinly slicing the steak in 1/8' slices, then stack 3 slices at a time and cut the meat crosswise, forming thin strips. Finally take a few strips at a time and dice them into 1/8' cubes!
4. Gather the meat in a chilled bowl, add the capers, cornichons, red onion, mustard seeds, dijon, and salt & pepper.
5. Mix well.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning.
7. When plating the tartare make a small well and place the egg yolk in the well (optional).
8. Mix around and enjoy with bread & crackers - cause nobody's got time for forks.
9. Sip, eat, and enjoy! Cheers