Chicken Souvlaki Dinner!
If you're trying to make a good first impression this is the way to go! A date, family dinner, meeting the parents, whatever it may be this is honestly the perfect, most delicious meal! It's refreshing, healthy, and full of flavor. You can make any sides with it - but these are my favorites and most accommodating.
Photos by Jessica Marx
Total Time: 60 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
3-4 lbs chicken thighs, cleaned, cubed
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 tbsp 7 pepper seasoning
2 tbsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
2-3 lemons, juiced
1/2 cup vermicelli egg noodles, crushed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup jasmine rice
3 cup chicken stock
Salt to taste
1-2 large cucumber
1/2 cup mint, cleaned
1 lemon, juiced
Salt to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix the chicken thigh cubes with garlic, oregano, 7 pepper seasoning, and salt.
2. Then add the olive oil, and lemon juice, mix well. Let the chicken marinate for 2-24 hours in the fridge.
3. Preheat the oven, or grill at 450F.
4. When ready skewer the chicken, about 6-7 pieces per skewer.
5. In a medium size pot, heat the vegetable oil on high. Add the vermicelli egg noodles, and sautée until golden brown.
6. Add the rice, give it a quick stir, then add the stock and salt. When it comes to a simmer, reduce to medium-low heat, and cover. The rice should be ready in 20-25 minutes.
7. Start grilling, or roasting the chicken.
Grill: About 3 minutes on each side.
Oven: 15-17 minutes.
8. In a small bowl, start peeling the cucumber like you normally would, making long ribbon like strings.
9. Mix in the mint, lemon juice, and salt. Voila you got a salad.
10. When ready serve the chicken skewers, on a bed of rice, with a side of cucumber salad, and never forget the greek yogurt!