Kale Pesto Grilled Cheese
I make a bomb kale pesto, whenever my friends come over that's what they ask for. Every client of mine is always asking me to add my pesto to the menu somehow. After coming up with some fun Hors D'oeuvres using the kale pesto I decided to take it simple - so I made this for dinner and it was too good I couldn't resist posting it! I hope this becomes your go to grilled cheese. The best part about the pesto is that you can make it - freeze it - use it whenever!!
Photos by Eric Helgas
Total Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
2 cups kale, washed
1 cup basil, with stems
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 cup walnuts, or pumpkin seeds (if allergic)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp black pepper, freshly cracked
8 slices, of your favorite bread
2 tbsp butter
4 slices cheddar
1/2 cup shredded asiago
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1. In a food processor, add kale, basil, cheese, nut, and garlic clove. Pulse until well combined.
2. Add lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Pulse while drizzling the extra virgin olive oil. Pulse for one additional minute until all combined.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning.
1. Heat a large cast-iron skillet heat up, on high heat.
2. Meanwhile spread butter on one side of each slice of bread, and 1-2 tbsp of kale pesto on the other side.
3. Place 4 slices, butter side down in the skillet. Start layering each cheese on top of the four slices of bread. Starting with the cheddar, asiago, and finishing with the parmesan.
4. Top the cheese off, with a slice of bread, pesto side facing down.
5. Cook the grilled each for 4 minutes on each side, until the bread is golden brown, crunchy, and all the cheese has melted.
Enjoy this with a side of soup, or on it's own!