My clients rave about this orzo salad! It's the perfect appetizer or a side dish. The saltiness of the capers and olives is the secret to this dish. This salad will bring colors and flavors to your table. Have fun with this salad! You can add herbs, cheese, or different seasonings like paprika, black peppers, and even red pepper flakes. It goes perfectly with grilled chicken or any flaky fish.
Photos by Lauren Zaser
Serves: 4 - 6 people
- 1 lb orzo
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1 pint cherry tomato
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pistachio, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Clean and chop asparagus into thirds.
- Drop the orzo and cook for 7 minutes, then add chopped asparagus and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Drain the orzo and asparagus. Let them cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine cooled orzo, asparagus, olives, capers, and cherry tomatoes.
- Toss with lemon juice, reserved pasta water, and olive oil until well combined.
- Garnish with chopped pistachio.