Lebanese vegetarian deliciousness
Total Time: 70 min
Serves: 4-6 people
Yield: 1 large pot
- 1 cup brown lentils, soak for 10-20 minutes
- 2 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 each yellow onion, small diced
- 5 cup water, divided
- 2 tbsp 7 pepper seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- Canola oil
- 1 each yellow onion, thinly sliced
- In a large pot start browning the diced onion with extra virgin olive oil for 20-25 minutes or until golden color.
- Add rice, soaked lentils, seasonings, and salt.
- Stir and sautée for 4-5 minutes.
- Start pouring the water one cup at a time, while stirring the rice mixture.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the rice and lentils cook and absorb all the water for about 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and fluff the rice with a fork and season with salt to taste.
- For the garnish, in a small pot heat the oil to 350 degrees. Fry the onion in small batches for about 3-4 minutes or until crunchy and golden brown. When onion is ready, strain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve the mujadra in a bowl with fried onions, and a side of labneh or greek yogurt. Enjoy!