Savory Lebanese Toast
This is a little twist on one of my favorite breakfast foods. I tend to eat more savory than sweet so I decided to switch it up. Instead of making a sweetened toast, I used an olive loaf, topping it off with tomatoes, mint, cucumber, grilled halloumi cheese, and the legendary Black & Bolyard aleppo pepper brown butter.
Photos by Carmen Ladipo
Total Time: 25 min
Serves: 4-6 people
Yield: 1 large stack
1 olive loaf, sliced ½’
4 whole eggs
2 tbsp za'atar
1 tbsp sumac
Pinch sea salt
Aleppo pepper brown butter
2 each tomatoes, cubed
1 each cucumber, halved and sliced
¼ cup mint leaves, washed
1 block halloumi cheese, rinsed and sliced ¼’
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
1. In a medium bowl, crack eggs and whisk with za'atar, sumac, and sea salt – until well combined
2. In a large bowl toss cubed tomatoes, cucumber, mint, EVOO, and salt together – and set aside.
3. Dip bread in egg mixture, until fully coated
4. In a large cast iron skillet, melt the brown butter over medium high heat.
5. Cook each slice for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
6. Let the bread cool, and sear the halloumi cheese for 2 minutes until the edges are crispy.
7. Assemble the toast by adding a slice of halloumi, and a scoop of salad.
8. Finishing it off with melted brown butter, and za'atar.