A traditional Lebanese vegetarian meal taken to the next level!! With extra spices, crunch, and texture this is the perfect side or main dish. Marrying za’atar and tahini to bring you the finest Middle Eastern flavors.
Photos by Seed + Mill
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
- 4 green zucchini, cut into 2-3in’ slices
- 1 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1-2 Lebanese/Syrian pita bread, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp za’atar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt + Pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. In a small bowl toss the pita bread with salt and olive oil.
3. Place the seasoned pita chips, on a parchment lined sheet tray, and bake for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
1. Heat your grill pan, on high.
2. In a large bowl toss the zucchini with salt and olive oil.
3. When your pan is smoking hot, grill the zucchini for 2 minutes on each side, and let rest.
1. To make the tahini sauce (tarator) start by whisking the lemon juice into the tahini. At this point the tahini will become thick and lumpy. This is the consistency you want.
2. Start adding the water little by little – until fully incorporated. The tahini sauce should become silky smooth.
3. In a separate bowl mix 1 cup of tahini sauce and 1 cup of Greek yogurt with salt to flavor.
1. In your serving platter, start off by lining the zucchini into a layer, then topping it with the tahini yogurt sauce, another layer of zucchini, another layer of sauce, and finishing off with the final layer of zucchini.
2. Top off with crunchy pita chips.
3. In a small bowl mix the za’atar with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and drizzle all around the plate.
4. There you have it a delicious fetteh!
P.S. you can make this with any of your favorite vegetables.